Saturday, March 14, 2009

Lavender Blue Days and Library Books

I love books. My uncle has the biggest personal library I have ever seen, and he helps me add to my own burgeoning collection now and then. We went book shopping at the Caliban outlet (up a few storefronts on Craig from the real Caliban) and when I left I had three bags full. Later that day I showed a friend what I had purchased and I suddenly realized with horror mounting, as I pulled each book out, I have a problem. Those books painted a vivid and disturbing picture of the person who picked them and took them all home. What was in there? Well...

1. Women Who Kill by Ann Jones
2. The Journals of Sylvia Plath (got home and discovered I already had a copy)
3. An Outline of Abnormal Psychology (published in 1921)
4. Cranial Surgery (published 1926)
5. The Metamorphosis - Kafka
6. A Children's Garden of Verses by Stevenson
Among others. Oy.

The cranial surgery one is pretty funny, just because of how little they really knew at the time. I watch enough Discover Health Channel to notice the advances we've made.

But I'm happiest about getting the Robert Louis Stevenson book. I picked it up because I thought the illustrations were pretty and it was old, and the uncle was paying. When I brought it home it stayed in the kitchen for a few days. After about three days my mom came to me and asked me where that book came from? Was it mine? Did it come in the mail? It turns out she had a copy just like that one when she was a kid. Her sister has it now and I think she has missed it because she's been carrying it around ever since.

I can understand that. My own favorite childhood book had eluded me for years till we found each other again. As a child, my mother would take me to the local library. The library was a beautiful building that looked like a castle from the outside and had trees and pigeons and friendly hobos all around it. I felt it was a magic place. During one trip to the library I saw a small old book, and on the spine it had very colorful handwritten letters: BEYOND THE PAW PAW TREES BY PALMER BROWN. I picked it up and after glancing at the cover I knew I had to check it out. I was probably 7 then and I fell in love with that book.

The story was perfect - a little girl whos father is gone - he makes his living chasing rainbows - takes a trip to see her aunt, who lives on a mirage. She leaves on a day when the sky happens to be lavender blue. This is no coincidence; special things always happen on lavender blue days. She brings her cat, meets a fat lady on a train, and gets a camel, a parrot, and some weird little pink fuzzy animal called a toby on the way. Oh, and she finds her dad, too. They find the rainbow and the gold at the end. It's adorable. The illustrations are ornate and whimsical. There's nothing about that book I do not love. I would estimate that I checked that book out at least 20 times in between the ages of 7 and 10. When I was 11, tragedy struck. They had taken it out of circulation.

For years I tried to track it down. Ebay, Amazon, book sales, antique stores. A couple of times I did see it, but it was a cruel joke. Today that book is worth around $250.00, which I certainly could not afford. I just couldn't forget about that book! I could not let it go, because I loved it so intensely. The books I read when I was a kid have influenced me immensely, and that includes Beyond the Paw Paw Trees...and Medea.

Anyway, cut to me at 19, waiting for my friend at a coffee shop. It's a lovely spring day and I sat outside smoking and drinking my coffee. All of the sudden I look up and notice - the sky is lavender blue. It is a lavender blue day! That reminded me of the book, so when my friend showed up I told her about it. She smiled after I finished and told me to stay there, she'd be back in a minute. About five minutes later she came back and put something on the table in front of me. My book! It was a copy of Beyond the Paw Paw Trees: The Story of Anna Lavinia. I could have cried. She'd purchased it at a library sale the day before at the paltry sum of fifty cents.

Not only was is the book, oh no - it was the book. It was the very same copy I read as a kid, stamped with the library branch name and all the markings. So it found its way back to me eventually, on a beautiful lavender blue day.




3 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same way about this book. I read it in sixth grade and then read the sequel The Silver Nutmeg. They were a dream and I have longed to read them again. I am still searching for a copy. (Some 25 years later) I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the chance that my comment will get back to the writer of the original post, i love these books, too, and pined for THE SILVER NUTMEG the same way you pined for BEYOND THE PAW PAW TREES. Finally I could stand it no longer and paid $40 for a ratty, tatty old library copy of THE SILVER NUTMEG. But I'm writing to tell you that BEYOND THE PAW PAW TREES is BACK IN PRINT, and in April 2012 THE SILVER NUTMEG reprint will become available. Very affordable prices, thanks to the publisher, the New York Review of Books. I checked THE SILVER NUTMEG out of our grade school so many times, and now, over 40 years later, I will be able to share these priceless stories with friends and customers in my bookstore. I am OVER THE MOON!

    Yours is a wonderful story, your own beloved library copy coming back to you. As for the Robert Louis Stevenson, I've often thought it would be great fun to collect as many different editions of that book as could be found, because there have been so many, with some lovely, lovely illustrations, and the little rhymes, once in one's head, never go away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://booksinnorthport.blogspot.com/2011/11/wonderful-surprise-and-surpassing.html

    That's my news flash on the reprinting of the Palmer Brown books. It has quite a bit in it about the story of THE SILVER NUTMEG.

    ReplyDelete